• Question and Answer

    Is 100% interest per year on loan illegal?

    Yes.Even in the suspension of the Usury Law and the elimination of interest ceilings, the parties are usually unrestrained to specify the interest rates to be enforced on financial obligations. As a general rule, the interest rate acknowledged by the creditor and the debtor are valid upon them. This rule, however, is not without exception. Currently, the Supreme Court once again dealt with the validity of interest acknowledged by the parties, declaring that: Stipulated interest rates are illegal if they are unconscionable and the Court is allowed to temper interest rates when necessary. In exercising this vested power to determine what is iniquitous and unconscionable, the Court must consider the…

  • Question and Answer

    My boss asked me to go out in a date but since i declined his offer, he is threatening me that he will fire me. Is he liable for sexual harassment?

    Yes your boss is liable for sexual harrasment and you are  a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace regardless of your refusal to give in to perform the sexual favor. Section 3 of Republic Act (RA) 7877 or the Anti-Sexual Harassment Act of 1995 provides: “SECTION 3. Work, Education or Training -Related, Sexual Harassment Defined. – Work, education or training-related sexual harassment is committed by an employer, employee, manager, supervisor, agent of the employer, teacher, instructor, professor, coach, trainor or any other person who, having authority, influence or moral ascendancy over another in a work or training or education environment, demands, requests or otherwise requires any sexual favor from…

  • Question and Answer

    My wife left me because of my infidelity, does she have the right to ask for support?

    Yes. Obligation to support stemming from marriage is a legal right on the part of the spouse who needs it, and it may not be rejected other than in cases provided by law. In such cases like when the wife leaves the home or refuses to live therein, without just reason. Mere separation by the spouses will not abrogate or restrain the legal right to support, which is patently provided by law. The fact that your wife left you because of your infidelity, is not enough cause to deny her of her right to receive support, you must show that she left your home without just cause.

  • Question and Answer

    I was injured because of a open manhole, can I sue the City Government for damages?

    Yes, the City Government is legally responsible for the injuries provided that it has control and supervision over the road where the manhole is located. Under Article 2189 of the Civil Code of the Philippines states: “Art. 2189. Provinces, cities and municipalities shall be liable for damages for the death of, or injuries suffered by, any person by reason of the defective condition of roads, streets, bridges, public buildings and other public works under their control and supervision.” This law unquestionably forces the City Government that has control and supervision over the road where the open manhole is situated. Ownership of the faulty manhole or other public works is not…

  • Question and Answer

    Is giving paid online/cyber sex show a crime?

    Yes. According to your brief narration, you are engaged in the crime of cybersex, a violation of Section 4(C)(1) of Republic Act (RA) 10175 or the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012. Law states that: “Section 4. Cybercrime Offenses.—The following acts constitute the offense of cybercrime punishable under this Act: x x x c) Content-related Offenses: x x x (1) Cybersex.—The willful engagement, maintenance, control or operation, directly or indirectly, of any lascivious exhibition of sexual organs or sexual activity, with the aid of a computer system, for favor or consideration.” Based on words of the law, you obviously knowingly and willingly engaged in the lewd exhibition of your sexual parts…

  • Question and Answer

    Can a illegitimate child claim “mana” from their dead parents?

    Yes, illegitimate children are still allowed to a portion from the property left by their parent. it is considering that Article 887 of the Civil Code of the Philippines specifies the list of compulsory heirs, which allow for illegitimate children, together with legitimate children, as among those designated to be compulsory succeed to from what was left by the dead parent. The statute recognises as legitime the reserved portion of a dead’s estate for his compulsory heirs (Art. 886, Civil Code of the Philippines). In effect, legitime is reserved for compulsory heirs, and it is from this portion of the dead’s estate where illegitimate children, such as your sister’s children,…

  • Question and Answer

    Lesbian relationships are also covered by Republic Act (RA) 9262

    Q. Is lesbian relationship covered by  Republic Act (RA) 9262, otherwise known as the Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004 (VAWC)?   Yes. Lesbian relationships are also covered by Republic Act (RA) 9262, otherwise known as the Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004 (VAWC).   Section 3(a) of the law defines violence against women and their children as “any act or a series of acts committed by any person against a woman who is his wife, former wife, or against a woman with whom the person has or had a sexual or dating relationship, or with whom he has a common child, or against her child whether legitimate or illegitimate, within or without the family abode, which result in or is likely to result in physical, sexual, psychological harm or suffering, or economic abuse including threats of such acts, battery, assault, coercion, harassment or arbitrary deprivation of liberty.”  As explained, It may, as well be done to a female with whom the individual has or had a sexual or dating relationship.’ evidently the usage of the gender-neutral term ‘person’ who has or had a sexual or dating relationship with the female includes even lesbian relationships.”  Clearly being a lesbian will not hinder the filing a criminal case under RA 9262.   

  • Question and Answer

    Right of first refusal of tenants or lessee in urban areas.

    Dear Attykalibre, We are leasing on a monthly basis a land, for almost 20 years now. We were the one who built the house. It is located in Makati City. We learned from our neighbor that the house and lot are for sale for three million pesos. We expressed our willing to buy the property, but the land lord did not give any answer.   We discovered later the property was sold to another person. The landlord maintains that she has the legal right to sell the house without offering it first to us. Is she right Monica   Dear Monica, Presidential Decree (PD) 1517, precisely Section 6 adequately provides the essentials requisites in order that the provision of the law could be implemented to wit:   a. leased land must be situated in an urban zone;   b. Lessee should build his/her house on subject land; and   c. He/She must be renting the said property continuously for ten years.   In your case, all the requisites are present. For this reason, landowner does have the legal duty to give you the opportunity to buy it, if he plans to sell it, and you do have the right of first refusal in the case at hand.   We wish that we could answer your inquiries.         

  • 28
    Question and Answer

    20 years na hiwalay

    Q:  Maaari po ba ako magpakasal muli dahil 20 years na po kaming hiwalay. Q:  Kailanman ang isang pagkakamali ay hindi maitatama ng isa pang pagkakamali. Kailangan ninyo pong mapawalang bisa ang Una ninyong kasal bago kayo magpakasal muli.May nagsabi po sa akin na pag matagal ng hiwalay maari na po magpakasal. Ito po ay maling paniniwala manatili po kayong kasal hangat hindi ito napapawalang bisa sa korte